MUIRHOUSE & SALVESEN COMMUNITY COUNCIL
Minute notes from meeting 17.05.16
Muirhouse Millennium Centre – 7:00pm (Unapproved)
In attendance; R Douglas, J Davidson, G Burrows, Cllr V Redpath, PC S Hall
Apologies; Cllr Day, Cllr Jackson, P Alexander, D McGarrie
- Adoption of last meetings minute notes of 19.04.16 – moved JD seconded RD
- Matters arising; 4.2 JD has arranged a walk about meeting of the park area on 19.5.16 – all members invited. Members of TRIM and a MHA rep have been invited also. Attending this walk about are; Cllr Hinds and M Rudden from NELO.
JD – requests to invite Alex Cole Hamilton MSP to visit the community centre and a future Community Council meeting. /action JD,RD
- -Notice of 20mph Zone rolling out in Forth Ward in March 2017. PC Hall was asked to comment on Policing this new rule. She mentioned the Police Scotland is making officers aware of this. More information can be found on edinburgh.gov.uk/20mph
-CEC Weekly Planning Lists; do members want e/mailed all lists or just when Forth Ward is listed, members agree the later. See item 7 re Cllr Redpath on St Paul’s update
-Received a room rental invoice from MMC /agreed to pay
- No Treasurers Report ; awaiting statements /action RD
- Police Report;
-Motor bike joy riding they Police are doing their best to curtail and catch those involved. Police request the public to continue phoning them and also if they can identify the perpetrators all information will be confidential.
-House breakings close to cycle paths are increasing and are being patrolled regularly
-Stats; crime figures are down 13.5% on 5 year average, 22.4% on previous year. House breaking down 33% on last year
-New Chief Inspector for N/W Jimmy Jones and in Drylaw Police station Insp Stevie Sutherland
-JD asked about statement in Evening News that Community Policing is to be cut. Cllr Redpath went on to state the CEC contract with the Police in our local community is a discussion which is currently taking place. Cllrs see the need for Community Police to be kept in place.
-JD asked about an incident last week involving a stolen vehicle which hit a fence on the drive where young children were playing but a fatal accident was avoided, this time. It had taken 40 minutes for Police to attend the accident.
-RD asked about safety of empty Silverlea complex – there have been a few incidents they have been involved with, including stolen motor bikes hidden on the property.
- Action Groups; JD distributed copies of last IMP meeting.
- Cllrs open discussions;
– St Paul’s , has not reached planning yet, objectors should be notified when it will.
-RD is the site safe; secure should the owner be made to flatten the site as a risk walls could fall down. Police say they have been called to a couple of calls but not serious. Cllr RP continued- Still discussion about the need of such accommodation type in the area as the city has more student accommodation being built than single accommodation for social rent. Cllr RP there should be a mix on these sites and should be at St Paul’s offering other type of accommodation. Urban Union will be building pensioner type accommodation on Muirhouse Avenue in the future.
-Silverlea , no buyers yet of this site?
-Schools – Independent Enquiry shall go ahead / not costing the CEC
JD asked about sessional workers on Zero Contracts with the Council like classroom assistants not getting paid – / action Cllr RP to get back to JD
– Next Year Council Elections – still waiting for confirmation on new boundary moves.
-MMC why does the centre not get any Children and Families funding as it does outstanding work with Children. JD money the centre received from Cashback for Communities was awarded to MMC but Total Craigroyston took the most of it. / Action CLLR RP
– NONE but members were intrigued by a story from one member who missed their bus on Pennywell Rd whilst running to catch it, was kindly offered a lift by a passing motorist which they accepted and was able to travel to get in front of the bus. Not Many random Acts of Kindness in Muirhouse these days or is there?